The importance of keeping the mouth and the mouth area cannot be underestimated. Talking about the dental plaque, dealing with it is an essential part of overall dental health. Plaque is a horrible, soft and sticky film that builds up in the teeth area due to the bacteria that live in the mouth and lack of regular oral hygiene. It is advisable to treat the build-up of plaque on the teeth when noticed because if it is left untreated for too long, it will turn to Tartar.
Our favorite supplier of essential oils is Plant Therapy. They offer 100% pure oils, free of additives and adulterants. They offer free shipping and free returns for up to 90 days.
You can browse their extensive collection of essential oils, including all of the oils mentioned in this article, on their Official Page on Amazon.
Tartar, however, is a more complex type of plaque that is usually difficult to remove. It can infect the gums and cause them to bleed, it can also lead to cavities on the teeth as well as tooth decay.
Therefore, if you have a plaque on your teeth, this article will talk about different remedies that will help to reduce the pain an over-sensitivity which is as a result of the bacterial infection. It will also help you to keep plaque and tartar far away from you.
11 Home Remedies To Remove Dental Plaque
1. Orange Peels
This may sound strange but it has been said that rubbing the inside of fresh orange peels directly on your teeth and gums can help remove dental plaque thereby enhancing the quality of your smile.
Orange peels are often used as a natural teeth whitener to remove plaque and stains from the teeth because it contains limonene that helps break down plaque without eroding the enamel and the vitamin C therein guards against the growth of microorganisms on the teeth.
- Rub the insides of fresh orange peels directly onto the teeth and gum before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- Do this as many times as possible to keep your teeth pearly white, fresh and clean.
Note: If you don’t have fresh orange peels, you can use dried orange peel powder.
2. Baking Soda
For natural at-home dental plaque removal, baking soda comes to mind as it is an effective substance for oral hygiene. It is slightly abrasive so it removes the plaque off the enamel. Baking soda is inexpensive and highly efficient for the removal of plaque and even hard tartar.
- Baking soda
- A little salt ( for more abrasiveness).
- Dip your wet toothbrush into the baking soda.
- Add a pinch of salt or more for more abrasiveness.
- Scrub your teeth for 5 minutes with the mixture.
- And rinse afterward with hydrogen peroxide and warm water mix followed by plain water rinse.
- Do this once a week or as required to tackle the plaque.
Many people take teeth brushing more seriously than flossing. Although brushing the teeth is good, flossing helps to reach places where the toothbrush can not reach in the mouth area. Flossing is an excellent way to remove dental plaque and food particles stuck between the teeth. It helps to reduce or even prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar thereby helping to maintain absolute oral hygiene.
Flossing is an excellent way to remove dental plaque and food particles stuck between the teeth. It helps to reduce or even prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar thereby helping to maintain absolute oral hygiene.
In addition to cleaning the teeth, it helps to clean between the gums, therefore preventing dental caries and gum diseases.
Lemons contain antimicrobial and acidic properties. The acidic properties of lemon help to dissolve and eventually dental plaque and tartar. It is also a natural bleach that helps to whiten the teeth.
What You’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Brush your teeth as usual.
- Wash your toothbrush then dip it in the lemon juice.
- Gently rub this juice on your teeth and gums.
- Leave it on for a minute or so before rinsing your mouth with warm water.
- Start by doing this every day then proceed to do this once in 10 days to keep your mouth free from plaque.
5. Aloe Vera and Glycerine Mix
Aloe vera gel can be used to keep the oral cavity fresh and the teeth free from plaques. It has antimicrobial properties and antioxidants that help to speed up the healing process of the teeth and gums by removing free radicals produced by the bacteria.
Lemon essential oil is a powerful microbial agent that can be used to get rid of dental plaque and bacteria that causes tartar.
- 1 cup of water
- 4-5 tablespoons of baking soda
- A teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil
- 4 teaspoons of vegetable glycerine
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Scrub your teeth with the mixture
- Rinse your mouth to remove the paste and watch the magic happen!
- Do this daily and then once in 4 days.
Note: Don’t do this for too long as it contains glycerine and it can disrupt the remineralization of your teeth.
6. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling, which is otherwise known as oil swishing is a method used to get rid of dental plaque and similar infections by using oil. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which are effective in fighting pathogens and bacteria that live in the mouth. It also helps absorb impurities from the oral cavity.
This process, however, can help prevent the re-formation of plaque and its build-up.
You will need:
- A tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
- Swish a tablespoon of melted coconut oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes.
- Don’t gargle or swallow it.
- Spit it out, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth as normal.
- Do this every morning before eating anything.
7. Rosemary Essential Oil
This oil works as a disinfectant to help get rid of oral bacteria and bad breath, it also prevents the build-up of dental plaque.
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of carrier oil or water (as you prefer).
- Mix 3 drops of rosemary essential oil with 1 tablespoon of water or carrier oil.
- Swish the mix around your teeth for 10-15 minutes.
- Spit it out and brush as normal.
- Repeat twice a day
Note: You can substitute rosemary oil with either thyme or sage essential oil.
8. Dental Pick
Using a dental pick is another way to remove dental plaque and hardened tartar from your teeth. You use a dental pick together with a lightened magnifying glass to help locate and remove the plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Gently scrape the plaque and spit out.
- Rinse your mouth during the cleaning process.
Note: Be gentle on your gums as picking too deep can irritate your gum and can cause infection.
Ever heard of using cloves to deal with tooth pain? Not only can cloves fight tooth pain, it also doubles as a natural paste to fight dental plaque. The paste helps to fight gingivitis, tartar buildup, and microbes that cause bad breath.
You can as well chew on few cloves to keep your oral cavity fresh and healthy.
- A teaspoon of powdered cloves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- A cup of warm water
- Mix a teaspoon of powdered cloves with olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply onto the teeth and leave on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Do this twice daily.
10. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds act as an active natural scrub. They help to scrub the teeth thereby removing plaque and tartar without damaging the teeth. They clean and polish the teeth to reveal those pearly whites.
For this, you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- Chew the sesame seeds. Make sure not to swallow them.
- Keep the chewed seeds in your mouth and brush your teeth with a dry toothbrush.
- Do this twice a week.
Cheese helps the oral cavity to produce alkaline saliva that helps to neutralize the acids in plaque. It fights against plaque-causing bacteria and it protects the teeth against acidic build-up. It is loaded with calcium and phosphates that can remineralize the teeth.
Note: Use a cheese with no added sugar for this treatment. Eat a small amount of hard cheese like Swiss or Cheddar after your meals to guard against plaque formation.
Where To Buy Essential Oils
As previously discussed, it is important to choose 100% pure essential oils, free of adulterants and additives. It is also advisable to opt for certified organic essential oils.
Did you ever think that back pain relief could be this comfortable? Let us know if you have used any other essential oil that is not on this list. Drop a comment in the comment section.