During my college years, one of the things I enjoyed a lot about athletes and footballers is their physique and their leg workouts. They look even more admirable when they sweat – making their thighs shine when they run. I’m sure you will agree with me on that. This often forces me to retreat to my mirror. And, as you expect, I get disappointed at what I saw.
My decision to reduce my leg fat and look like one of those athletes was not enough until I applied some very effective leg workouts. After trying several exercises, I came up with these seven leg workouts. And I can bet you these seven leg exercises are outstandingly efficient.
You might want to ask me, “what’s wrong with using a gym or machines at home? Ain’t they useful?”. Well, here’s what I’ll tell you, “nothing is wrong with that. But in comparison to real body movement, these leg workouts at home are more realistic and much more efficient in the real-world”.
For that reason, you won’t see any recommendations for fat burning leg exercises like seated leg extensions or hamstring curls.
Mind you, not all leg workouts are effective, and that’s why I took my time to select these seven best fat burning leg exercises. This is surely going to challenge all of your lower body muscles and force them to work in unison to stabilize your body and generate energy.
The 7 Best Fat Burning Leg Workouts
What You’ll Need:
There are only 3 basic pieces of equipment you’ll need for this workout. And the great thing is, they’re all relatively cheap to buy on Amazon and they’re multi-purpose, meaning you can use them for a variety of different workouts and exercise routines beyond this one.
A light workout gear; I get all of my Women’s Workout & Training Pants from Amazon for less than half the price (the quality, price, and prints are awesome) A gym timer (free apps are available for download), and A floor mat to lay on the floor.
Alright, let’s get down to business. But, please, note that you shouldn’t do all 7 of them in one workout but rather pick and choose 2-3 of them for any given lower body workout.
For best strength and fat loss results, choose a weight that will only allow you to complete 6-8 reps with excellent form and complete 2-3 sets for each one.
For leg workouts, one of the most fundamental lower body exercises is squats. They target the thighs, butt, hamstrings, and even engage your core. In sports, squats are a must since they mimic the exact movement patterns of jumping and sprinting. The more you can squat, the most potent you will be.
- Stand with your feet a hip-width apart, back straight, and arms straight out in front of you.
- Slowly lower yourself as you were to sit in a chair.
- Once in the sitting position, slowly raise yourself up to the starting position. The squat is a great exercise for your core and leg muscles.
2. Lunge to skip
This lunge variation does what other leg exercises don’t. It combines both cardio and strength into one move and strengthens and torches fat all at the same time. If you are trying to lose weight and burn fat, this move is a must-do.
You’ll move quickly from the lunge position, so make sure to pay close attention to proper form to keep your knees safe.
- Stand up straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Chest up and shoulders and look straight ahead.
- Keeping your upper body still and core tight.
- Take a giant step back with your right foot.
- Lower both knees to lower into a lunge.
- Swing your arms to jump off of your right foot.
- Lift upward, and drive your left knee high into the air.
- Upon landing, immediately return your left leg to the starting position and repeat.
- Aim for 8 to 12 reps.
- Switch sides and repeat.
3. Forward-Backward Lunges
One of the best moves for leg muscles is Lunge. It is also a good leg workout for women. It trains your glutes, thighs, and hamstrings. When you lunge, you’ll not only strengthen and tone your legs, but you’ll also improve your balance and gain core strength. You can add weights to make a move more challenging over time.
To have a good leg workout, forward-backward lunge makes you step backward, drop down into your lunge, and then push forward, then push back into a reverse lunge, and repeat.
- Be up straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Place your hands on your hips, pull your shoulders back, and look straight ahead.
- Take a controlled step forward with your right leg. Keeping your torso straight and your weight on your heels. Lower your body until both your front and back legs form a 90-degree angle, and your knees are directly over your ankles. Pause, then bring your right leg back to return to start. Repeat on the other leg.
4. Jump rope
Jump rope is one exciting leg workouts at home. It has great fitness benefits for grown-ups as well. Jumping rope workout is an excellent total-body exercise to condition and strengthen the heart, tone the arms, legs, and core. It’s also a great cardio to shed some extra calories and fat.
- Grab the handles with a comfortable grip.
- Turn the rope by turning your wrists in a circular form.
- Swing the rope over your head and jump as it passes your feet (near right illustration).
- Jump high enough to clear the rope (far right).
- Land evenly on both feet.
- Continue for one minute, then rest for one minute.
5. Side Lunge
This side lunge helps women with the inner thigh fat – toning and strengthening the hard to reach inner thigh muscles. And these muscles are also critical in hip stability and fending off running injuries.
- Stand tall with your feet together.
- Place your hands on your hips or grab some weights and hold them by your sides.
- Take a nice big and controlled step to the left with your left leg.
- Make sure to land flat on your foot.
- Keeping your chest up and the weight in your heels, push your hips back, bend your right knee and lower your body until your right leg is almost parallel to the floor, and your right knee is directly over your ankle.
- Your left leg should stay straight throughout the entire movement.
- Pause, then bring your right leg back to start.
- Step sideways with your right leg and repeat.
6. Wall Sit
Wall sit or wall squat is a simple body-weight exercise that will test the strength and endurance of your lower body. It is also a good lower body workout for women. However, this exercise works a little different than the typical body weight squats since you’re holding your body in a static position for a given period of time. It’s simple as that. You’ll hit the calves, hamstrings, and glutes. Even your core has to work to keep your body straight.
- Lean against the wall with your feet hip-width apart planted firmly on the ground.
- Your feet also should be about 2 feet away from the wall.
- Brace your abs and slowly slide down the wall with your back pressed against the wall until your legs are bent at the 90-degree. This helps you to get a good leg workout.
7. Jumping jack
Jumping jacks is a full-body conditioning exercise that strengthens your legs, arms, and core. Also, this exercise also conditions your heart and lungs. It’s one exercise perfect for getting your heart rate up and burning calories.
- Stand with your legs together and arms at your sides.
- Jump to move the legs outward and raise the arms above your head.
- Jump again to return to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.
These ten best leg workouts are enough to strengthen and tone all muscles throughout the legs. They will actually tone your entire bottom. However, no one will ever notice the toning effect if it’s hidden under the layers of thigh fat.
Moves like jumping rope and jumping jack are included, so you’ll not only tone your legs. It will help you burn the layers of fat on your thighs.
With these, get ready to welcome back your most desired look.