Skin Tags or polyps or papillomas as they are generally referred to as are benign growths on the skin surface that occur mostly on the neck, chest, face, nose, armpits, inner thighs etc. Though they are generally harmless, they can also be the result of underlying medical conditions that require rigorous treatment. They can also be caused friction, skin irritation, and even genetics. This post is aimed at teaching you to remove skin tags.
Plant Therapy Essential Oils are the number one supplier of high quality, organic, 100% pure essential oils. They offer free shipping in the U.S. and returns for up to 90 days after purchase. You can shop Plant Therapy on their official Amazon store.
In other words, you can inherit this problem if someone in your family has it.
Skin tags are small growths or flaps of skin which are usually found around the neck, eyes, underarms, breasts, or groin. They look similar to warts, although they are not that rigid at all. However, many people find them annoying, while others would like them gone for cosmetic reasons.
Thankfully, apart from surgery, which is mostly recommended, there are many safe and effective methods that can be employed at home for treating this condition.
Before panicking, you should know that skin tags are harmless and will not put your state of health in danger. However, many people are looking to get rid of skin tags, because they can grow to be uncomfortable and they are also considered as unaesthetic and unwanted.
8 Ways to Remove Skin Tags at Home
Here are 8 home remedies to remove skin tags with minimal effort:
This stinky herb is a fantastic natural medicine to keep in your pantry. It boasts antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. The juice released from a crushed clove of garlic is believed to remove skin tags and warts naturally within a few weeks.
This solution may be stinky, but it is definitely very effective. Everybody should have garlic around the house, for its nutritional values and for the fact that it can remove both skin tags and warts in a very short time.
Garlic cloves have a wide set of amazing properties, being anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral as well, so you have more than one reason to use it. With the help of the juice released by crushed garlic cloves, your skin tags will be gone in a few weeks.
How to Apply:
- Simply crush one clove of garlic and soak it up in a cotton ball.
- Apply it at night to the skin tag and cover with a bandage.
- Wash it off in the morning to eliminate garlic’s pungent odour!
- Repeat the process the next night before taking a two-night break in order to reduce the risk of skin irritation.
- If you wish, you can alternate the garlic treatment and the more soothing Vitamin E oil treatment.
2. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is a fantastic anti-fungal which can offer relief from several skin conditions, including skin tags. It has a pleasant scent and is safe for the skin.
You should know that you can easily prepare Oregano oil to remove skin tags at home. Simply make a homemade oil of oregano by allowing fresh oregano to infuse with olive oil for several weeks, before straining. Alternatively, dilute oregano essential oil with a carrier oil like jojoba, or sweet almond.
How to Apply:
- Apply this oil directly to your skin tag three times a day.
- Allow to air-dry before covering with a dressing or bandage.
- Repeat this process daily until the skin tag dries out and falls off.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
This incredibly versatile fermented vinegar is both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, making it a great choice for skin tag removal. This method is safe and efficient. Moreso, you do not need to fear triggering an infection. Get the best brand of Apple Cider Vinegar here on Amazon
How to Apply:
- First, wash and thoroughly dry the area around the tag.
- Apply some apple cider vinegar to a cotton ball and apply to the bump.
- You can secure or hold the cotton ball in place for up to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure three times a day until the skin tag darkens, dries, and eventually falls off.
Note: Avoid using apple cider vinegar to treat skin tags located near the eyes.
4. Tea Tree Oil
This is the easiest way to remove skin tags and even painless home remedy for skin tags. As per the ancient Chinese medicine, your skin tags indicate that there is dampness within your body. Due to its natural antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties, tea tree oil dries out any wart and even skin tags from inside out. Tea tree essential oil is the perfect remedy for skin tag
How to Apply:
- Clean your skin tag.
- Soak the cotton ball in the clean water.
- Take out the cotton ball and squeeze a little to just drain out the excessive water. Don’t squeeze too hard.
- Pour the drops of tea tree oil onto the wet cotton ball.
- Now rub your skin tag with this cotton. Massage gently.
- Do this thrice a day.
- Although wet cotton ball has a diluting effect on tea tree oil, if your skin is hypersensitive, you should dilute the oil with equal quantity of water and then apply this to your skin tags.
- Do not ingest tea tree oil. It can prove to be toxic and may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and drowsiness. If accidentally you ingest the oil and feel any adverse effect, consult your physician immediately.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil was the favorite of our grandmothers and even mothers. They knew how beneficial Castor oil is for health and we equally hated to have it due to its awful taste! The only soothing thing about Castor oil as a remedy for skin tags is that you don’t have to take it internally but have to apply it externally to your skin growths.
You can apply Castor oil alone or combine it with other ingredients to have a rapid effect. Here are some suggestions for you:
How to Apply:
- This is the most simple way. Just rub the Castor oil on your skin tags for as many times a day as you can but not less than 5 times a day.
- Mix Castor oil with baking soda to get a thick paste. Now apply this paste on your skin lesions and wrap it with a bandage. Do this before you go to sleep at night. In the morning, wash it off with lukewarm water. You will need to do this only for about 10 days during which period your tags will fall off your skin.
- Mix Castor oil with a few drops of Lomatium herbal extract and apply this on your skin tags. Do this 2-3 times a day. Mixed with the herb, Castor oil will work faster and you will get rid of these skin tags sooner than you expect.
6. Banana Peels
And here is one environment-friendly remedy, the one which uses a waste material- the banana peel! Eat the healthy food and use its peel to remove skin tags. Isn’t that awesome?
How to Apply:
- Cut a small piece of banana peel.
- Take it and place it on your tag- inside downwards. This means the yellow skin will remain upwards which you can see and the white inner portion of the peel with all that fibrous texture will go inside- on the skin tag.
- Now wrap it with bandage firmly. You can also use first aid tape so that the peel doesn’t go anywhere while you sleep for the whole night.
- Repeat the process every night for a few days until your skin tag drops off.
7. Coconut Oil for Skin Tags
This is one of the best skin tags removal oils. Coconut oil has so many benefits for your skin and hair, so you will definitely need to put this on your list of must-have natural skin and hair care products. If you are wondering how to remove skin tags gently, the coconut oil is a great solution.
Besides being extremely nourishing, coconut oil is also a potent anti-microbial substance, making sure that all sorts of unwanted bacteria and viruses do not linger on your skin.
How to Apply:
- All you need to do is to rub coconut oil on your skin tags at night, before going to bed, and leave it there to act overnight.
- You should do this every night until the skin tag diminishes or disappears completely.
8. Onion Juice
While you cut onions for making the paste to remove skin tags, you’ll have tears in your eyes just to prove that there are certain components in the onion that will help you in curing these little things on your body. However, you need to make some preparations before you can use onion juice at night.
How to Apply:
- Cut the onion and mix salt to it. Leave it overnight.
- In the morning, extract the juice of this salted onion but you don’t have to apply this now. Just keep it till night.
- At night, before going to bed, apply the prepared onion juice on your tags and wrap with a bandage.
- Don’t forget to cut another onion and mixing it with salt for the next night.
- In the morning, wash off.
- Do it for at least 10-12 days.
Where To Buy Essential Oils
As previously discussed, it is important to choose 100% pure essential oils, free of adulterants and additives. It is also advisable to opt for certified organic essential oils.
Plant Therapy is our favorite supplier of high-quality essential oils and they offer an entire range of organic essential oils on their official website.
The most important thing in removing skin tags is Patience. Just embrace patience. It may take up to several weeks to get the desired result. Although, this is dependent on the size of your skin tags.