Get rid of eczema- Eczema is a chronic skin condition which is usually accompanied by inflammation, thick and scaly skin, severe itchiness, red or brownish patches on the skin, and often times, blistered bumps can appear on the skin. It is also known as atopic dermatitis and it is often as a result of skin dryness, choice of body creams or moisturizers, stress, allergies to certain food, hereditary, soaps, and even swimming in chlorine-treated pools.
Plant Therapy Essential Oils are the number one supplier of high quality, organic, 100% pure essential oils. They offer free shipping in the U.S. and returns for up to 90 days after purchase. You can shop Plant Therapy on their official Amazon store.
Eczema, when treated with orally administered steroids, steroid creams or topical creams tend to have adverse side effects on the human body. Read on to know how to get rid of eczema using healthy and natural alternatives you can easily get in your home.
- 12 Best Home Remedies for Blackheads That Works
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis Treatment
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
13 Home Remedies To Get Rid of Eczema
1. Tea Tree Oil
The antiseptic properties of tea tree oil help to calm itchiness and heal the skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties also help to reduce inflammation on the skin. tea tree oil has in it anti-bacterial properties that fight off infections and guards against the spread of such infection.
For the treatment of eczema:
- Add 20 drops of pure tea tree oil to half a cup of coconut oil.
- Rub the mix on the affected parts twice daily.
If the eczema is spread over your body, take a tea tree oil bath to calm inflamed areas.
- Add 15-20 drops of tea tree oil and 2 tablespoons of olive or almond oil to your bath water. Let it sit for about 20 minutes before use.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar in its original state can reduce the inflammation and itch caused by eczema. It contains a high amount of acetic acid that helps to reduce itchiness and redness as a result of the itch, and also kill bacteria. Apple Cider Vinegar can be used in various ways to get rid of eczema.
To get rid of eczema using Apple Cider Vinegar;
- Take a glass of water and mix 2 teaspoons each of raw honey and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Drink this prepared solution to get rid of eczema.
- You can also mix equal quantities of water and vinegar, and apply it directly using either a cotton ball or spray bottle on the affected area to lessen the dryness and itchiness.
Note: Dilute ACV with more water if you do have sensitive skin
- Add 2 cups of ACV to warm bath water. Soak in this bath for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this treatment for at least 3 times a week to soothe irritated skin. The acidic content of the ACV will help to relieve itchiness all over your body.
Note: Keep your skin moisturized after topical application and bath. You can use either coconut oil or jojoba oil for this.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a good home remedy to help get rid of eczema, relieve its symptoms and repair damaged skin. It contains a high amount of healing properties which treats itchy, burned and damaged skin. The popular plant has in it vitamins and anti-inflammatory properties that protect the skin from harshness and dryness. It also helps to get rid of skin infections caused by bacteria.
By applying aloe vera to the affected areas, it will reduce itch and redness.
How to use:
- You can choose to apply aloe vera directly where you have eczema and massage for 2-3 minutes. Repeat it twice daily for best results.
- Mix aloe vera gel and pure vitamin E oil to make a slightly thick paste.
- Apply on the eczema scars and leave it on overnight.
- Wash off with clean and warm water in the morning.
4. Coconut Oil
The antimicrobial and anti-fungal filled coconut oil can help reduce inflammation caused by eczema because it contains both antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It contains caprylic acid and lauric acid that helps to relieve itching and skin flaking.
Coconut oil is a skin moisturizer as it tackles dry skin, thereby reducing the chances of getting eczema and it also protects the skin from the flaky appearance caused by itchiness.
- Pure coconut oil (avoid mixing it with any other ingredient or oil).
How To Use:
- Wash the affected areas with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply some coconut oil to the affected areas as needed during the day (leave overnight when applied at night).
- Rub gently for few minutes.
- Do this daily till you get rid of eczema.
It can also be used to treat eczema in infants.
5. Essential Oils
Other than tea tree oil, there are several essential oils that can be used to get rid of eczema as well as preventing scars from forming and re-occurrence. The following is a list of such oils to get rid of eczema.
I. Chamomile Oil: This is an essential oil that is extracted from German or Roman chamomile flowers.It has antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that help calm the skin and reduce inflammation.
For topical application:
- Apply this oil to the affected areas 2-3 times a day and watch the magic happen!
For a chamomile bath: You will need 4 tablespoons of dried (German) chamomile flower
- Muslin or cheesecloth
- A bathtub
- Tie 4 tablespoons of chamomile in a muslin or cheesecloth (you can add as much as you want).
- Fill the bathtub to half and tie the bag to the faucet so that water can run directly over it.
- You can drop the bag into the tub when it’s full and squeeze at intervals to get more healing benefits.
- Soak yourself in the tub for 10-15 minutes and gently pat yourself dry.
- Follow this with a mild moisturizer.
Note: This treatment is not for you if you are pregnant.
II. Lavender Oil: This essential oil is antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory- it is literally all you need to get rid of eczema fast! As it will help heal the scars and prevents scars from forming.
You can use it raw or by diluting it with carrier oils like almond or olive oil. Apply it 2-4 times a day or as needed.
III. Rosehip oil: Rosehip oil contains fatty acids that can help soothe itchiness. Use it for eczema to calm and keep your skin moisturized.
6. Vitamin E Oil
Natural Vitamin E oil for the treatment of eczema can really help to get rid of eczema and relieve the symptoms associated with it. Before you buy, read the label to avoid synthetic vitamin E oil. Apply on the affected parts.
7. Hempseed Oil
Hempseed Oil is said to heal skin conditions such as eczema, rashes, and psoriasis because it has a high level of fatty acids that helps to promote healing. It has high omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids concentration.
It can be applied topically and can be taken internally because when taken internally, it helps to heal from inside and when applied on the affected areas, it relieves itchiness and dryness.
Honey performs all that is needed to relieve the symptoms of eczema. It is anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, helps fasten the healing process of damaged and broken skin, and it’s a humectant (draws water to it.) Though it can get sticky, so this is best used over small areas, rather than all over your legs and arms.
You will need:
- Raw organic honey
- Bandage (optional)
- Rinse your hands with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply a thin layer of honey over the affected area.
- You can cover it with a bandage to keep it from rubbing off on anything, but I prefer to “let it breathe.”
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes then rinse off with warm and clean water, pat dry.
- Reapply another thin layer of honey as needed throughout the day.
This remedy is less stressful and does not hurt anyone even if your skin is sensitive. It moisturizes deeply and calms the irritated skin. The properties in oatmeal are anti-inflammatory which helps to lessen discomfort associated with eczema, reduce itchiness and get rid of eczema.
Topical application of oatmeal doesn’t only help relieve eczema and its symptoms but can also keep skin soft, supple and young looking
- 1-3 cups of oatmeal
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add oatmeal to your bath water.
- Add lavender oil.
- Stir bath water continuously with your hands.
- Soak in for 30 minutes.
- Bath and gently pat skin dry.
- Apply a mild moisturizer. Repeat this 3-4 times a week.
Sandalwood is a go-to solution for eczema in traditional Chinese medicine. It contains cooling and anti-inflammatory properties which are effective for the treatment of eczema. It helps to reduce itchiness and soothes inflamed skin, hence, it gets rid of eczema.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder
- 1 tablespoon of rose water
- Mix the two ingredients.
- Apply the mixture to troubled skin.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Do this twice a day for one month.
Neem leaves are an effective anti-inflammatory, which makes them ideal for treating atopic dermatitis. It helps to tone down the body’s response to inflammation, minimizes the pain and discomfort usually associated with eczema.
Neem oil, on the other hand, works by keeping the skin moisturized, protecting the skin from toxins that can further irritate the skin, and cleanses the skin to get rid of eczema.
It’s a best to use both neem leaf water extract and neem oil to relieve this skin condition. Both remedies are easy to put together and are also very effective.
- 1 tablespoon of neem leaves, crushed
- 2 drops of neem oil
- Put all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Apply the mixture to the skin.
- Leave it to dry before washing off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once a day until eczema is gone.
12. Try Salt
If your eczema is that type that has oozing blisters, sea salt may help to reduce itchiness and dry it up instead of applying moisturizers. If you live close to the beach, try and dip yourself into the sea water as it has been said by those who suffer from eczema that it relieves the inflammation. Do this to make your homemade spray if you don’t live close to the beach.
- Add a teaspoon of sea salt to a cup of warm water and stir till it is completely dissolved.
- Pour into a spray bottle and spray on affected skin areas.
13. Eat Eczema-fighting Food
To get rid of eczema, certain foods are required as they are known to help heal eczema from within. You may want to add the following foods to your diet:
- Nuts and seeds as they contain a relevant amount of omega-3 fatty acid.
- Salmon, Cod, halibut are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids just like hempseed oil, help to reduce the symptoms of eczema.
- Eggs and oatmeal are high in zinc which is a mineral known to fight and get rid of eczema.
- Buckwheat is a key ingredient to fight eczema as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Other foods include green onions, which has high anti-inflammatory properties and foods high in quercetin such as citrus fruits, apples, berries, and broccoli.
Our favorite supplier of essential oils is Plant Therapy. They offer 100% pure oils, free of additives and adulterants. They offer free shipping and free returns for up to 90 days. You can browse their extensive collection of essential oils, including all of the oils mentioned in this article, on their Official Page on Amazon.
Let’s hear from you! Have you ever suffered from eczema or any related skin inflammatory disease? What helped you?