About 40 percent of adults, yearly, suffer from anxiety disorder and insomnia, an inability to fall or stay asleep, according to the National Sleep Foundation. About 10 to 15 percent of people suffer from chronic insomnia, finding it difficult to get enough shut-eye at least a few nights a week.
Our favorite supplier of essential oils is Plant Therapy. They offer 100% pure oils, free of additives and adulterants. They offer free shipping and free returns for up to 90 days.
You can browse their extensive collection of essential oils, including all of the oils mentioned in this article, on their Official Page on Amazon.
But regaining entry to the land of nod is essential for your long-term health; over time, sleep deprivation can reduce immunity, up your risk of diabetes and heart disease and even make you gain weight.
Anxiety is quite different from a Xanax-deficiency disorder. The mind, body, and spirit are all involved in fear, but anxiety is first and foremost a physiologic disorder; that is, it is not just a disease of the body, but also of the mind. The good news, however, is that shifting our body’s physiology is relatively easy to do.
There is so much we can do with diet and lifestyle to manage anxiety, and much of it is safer and more effective than medication.
12 Best Natural Cures for Anxiety Disorder and Insomnia That Work
Here are 12 tips for managing stress naturally:
1. Healthy breakfast For Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia
A good start is to a right end. So always focus on your meal and choose the right mix of ingredients for this purpose. Base your choice on the nutritional requirements associated with each item.
2. Lavender oil for anxiety disorder and insomnia
The fragrance of lavender can be used as an agent of relief for anxiety disorder and insomnia. It helps to lower the emotional distress level and refreshes the mood.
The research has claimed that lavender oil increased slow wave sleep and reduced anxiety, and insomnia symptoms – the profound slumber by which heartbeat slows and muscles relax. At this period, the brain is believed to organize memory, as well.
- We can use room fresheners with the lavender smell.
- Also, traditional Chinese acupuncture uses lavender oil for stress relief.
- Put lavender essential oil out of its container or bottle
- Sprinkle little drops on a piece of tissue and put it under your pillow,
- or better still you can use an aromatherapy diffuser for a better result,
Sleep is your best protection against anxiety. This is because sleep deprivation and sleep disorder are very common to anxiety. Anxiety causes insomnia and sleep deprivation makes us vulnerable to anxiety. The best way to address this is to set ourselves up for better sleep. Conveniently, the way to do this overlaps with the overall approach to anxiety.
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine
- Even if you have no trouble falling asleep, caffeine decreases sleep quality.
- Maintain stable blood sugar
- Blood sugar fluctuations disrupt your sleep, causing the middle of the night awakening.
- Let your eyes see a bright light in the morning and dim light at night.
- If your room isn’t completely dark when you sleep, wear an eye mask or get blackout curtains.
- Wind down and unplug before bed
4. Exercise For Anxiety Disorder and Insomnia
Exercise is the best anti-anxiety medicine. Form the habit of exercising. Even if it is small amounts in your living room or a brief walk outside, just do something. It is very important that you do it continuously.
- In general, stand more, sit less, walk whenever possible, and lower your standards for exercise.
- Yoga and Tai Qi is especially beneficial for anxiety, but the most important thing is to find something you enjoy.
5. Honey For Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia
Honey is an excellent insomnia treatment used for calmness of mind and body. With it a smooth texture and beneficial properties; it acts as a relief to depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Your brain draws our liver glycogen prior hitting muscle glycogen, stored sugar in your muscles, so having a little extra sugar in the form of honey, before bed can help your brain boost at night.
Raw honey is preferably used to stock liver glycogen. Therefore it is used first for brain function. It is as an additive to various hot and cold beverages.
6. Pure Coconut Water
Though coconut water is commonly known as an energy boosting drink, it can also help you sleep better and reduce anxiety disorder and insomnia.
Coconut water is an excellent source of potassium and magnesium, which help your muscles relax and eliminate anxiety. It also has a small dose of B vitamins in it, which anti-anxiety and insomnia.
Anxiety has a significant impact on quality of life. Maintaining stable blood sugar, reducing caffeine, getting enough sleep, healing the gut, getting some exercise and filling the body with magnesium are safe tactics that go a long way toward reducing anxiety.
If your anxiety does not respond to these lifestyle interventions, I recommend having a consultation with a qualified mental health provider.
8. Trial Off Caffeine
Caffeine and stress work handy. When one is caffeinated, one’s nervous system is ready for a fight. If you suffer from anxiety, try a trial of caffeine.
If you reduce your intake gradually (coffee -> half-caf -> black tea -> green tea -> herbal tea) over the course of a week or two, you’ll avoid withdrawal symptoms. After a few weeks, you may be surprised to see that your anxiety has decreased, your sleep has improved, your energy gets stabilized, and you even tolerate stress better.
9. The Gut
On treatment for anxiety, our gut matters. Based on the relationship between gut flora and mood, the bugs in our digestive tract have a profound impact on how we feel and play an integral role in anxiety disorders.
- Fermented foods: Sauerkraut, kimchi, beet kvass, miso paste, apple cider vinegar, kombucha, kefir (if you tolerate dairy).
- Starchy tubers: Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, plantain, taro, yucca.
- Bone broth supplement
- Take a probiotic.
- Consider supplementing with glutamine and collagen.
- Avoid what irritates the gut: Food: Gluten, sugar, industrial vegetable oils, artificial sweeteners, alcohol. Certain medications: Antacids, antibiotics, oral contraceptives (only make changes under close supervision from your doctor).
- Squatty Potty can be life-changing.
- Get enough sleep.
- Manage stress with yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, unplugging, acupuncture, being in nature.
- Treat gut infections. If you suspect you may have a chronic stomach infection, get evaluated by an integrative or functional medicine practitioner.
10. Winter Cherry
Winter cherry is also a natural sleep remedy used for emotional stability and managing stress. Using it with no side effects is safe. Using it daily for about six weeks reduces anxiety disorder/insomnia to a great extent.
11. Decaffeinated Green Tea
Decaffeinated Green Tea is a good substance for insomnia treatment. Excess weight or obesity can lead to various heart diseases. Therefore, avoid hearing damage risk, adopt a healthy attitude towards life and feel free to sip green tea. You can add two teaspoons of green tea and one spoon of honey in boiling water and enjoy the drink.
12. Blood Sugar
Stable blood sugar aids treatment for anxiety disorder. Here’s how to maintain stable blood sugar:
- Eat more protein and healthy fats (e.g., olive oil, coconut oil, butter and ghee from pasture-raised animals).
- Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Eat three meals and two snacks daily; don’t skip meals.
- Take a spoonful of coconut oil upon waking, in the afternoon and right before bed; this will serve as a blood sugar safety net throughout the day.
- Always have a snack handy (e.g., nuts, hard-boiled egg, dark chocolate, Epic jerky, Vital Choice wild salmon jerky, almond butter).
Where To Buy Essential Oils
As previously discussed, it is important to choose 100% pure essential oils, free of adulterants and additives. It is also advisable to opt for certified organic essential oils.
Did you ever think that back pain relief could be this comfortable? Let us know if you have used any other essential oil that is not on this list. Drop a comment in the comment section.