Love handles truthfully are not Loved! This is because they are just fats that sit in your abdominal area, making it almost impossible to wear your skinny jeans. It is even worse because it can be challenging to get rid of because of its position in the body. It is a myth to think that regular ab workout can get rid of it.
Love handles lie on top of the obliques, which are a particular group of abdominal muscles. To work those parts, you have to target them precisely by working exercises to get rid of love handles.
Love handles lie on top of the obliques, which are a particular group of abdominal muscles. To actually work those handles, you have to target them precisely. Losing the love handles particularly involve many dietary changes and targeted exercises. This article exposes you to exercises that help you get rid of love handles specifically.
- 8 Best Exercises to Burn Upper Belly Fat
- 5 Yoga Workouts for Six Packs Abs
- 10 Best Cardio Workouts at Home For Belly Fat Burning
- 7 Impressive Kettlebell Exercises for Total Body Toning
8 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Love Handles
1. Bicycle crunches
Top of our list of exercises to get rid of love handles is bicycle crunches. This is because it helps you tone your stomach while particularly eradicating love handles.
- Lay flat on your back positioning your hands behind your head
- Raise your legs so that they are 1–2 feet above the ground
- Bend your left knee and bring it toward your head
- Then, twist your body so that your right elbow meets your left knee
- Now, straighten your left leg and do the same thing on the other side, touching your right knee to your left elbow
- Do 15-20 of these for one rep, increasing reps as you get stronger.
2. Russian twists
This twist appears to be slightly easier to do than traditional crunches. However, it focuses mainly on strengthening your love handles to reduce the inherent fat.
- Sit on the ground with your back straight and your feet extended out in front of you
- Bend your knees slightly and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Bend backward slightly so that your back is at a little less than 90 degrees
- Hold a 5-10 pound dumbbell in your hands and twist your body toward the left, lowering the dumbbell halfway to the floor
- Bring your body back to the original position, and then do the same thing on the right side.
Repeat this 20-25 times daily for two weeks, and you’ll see why it is trusted as one of the best exercises to get rid of love handles.
3. Side Planks
This exercise is great to help tone your core, and with the modifications made to it, it targets your love handles effortlessly.
Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Start off in a side plank position with your right elbow supporting you, and your left arm resting on your hips
- Make sure that your body is straight, and hold the position for 30-60 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side with your left elbow supporting you.
You can switch a few times between sides.
4. Total Body Toning Exercises
Yoga and pilates are activities that help you to tone up your entire body. They strengthen your muscles and help you produce long, lean muscles. This type of exercise is useful for those who do not want to be tagged bulky or round. Yoga workouts were particularly acclaimed and recognized as exercises to get rid of love handles.
5. Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic exercises are cardiovascular exercises that not only improve your overall health. Rather, they also help to burn overall body fat, hence becoming one of the best exercises to get rid of love handles.
There are a wide variety of aerobic exercises that can be done. You can try jogging, walking, biking and or kickboxing. To get rid of love handles, you should get at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercises in daily.
However, if you don’t have enough time for a formal training, then, try to incorporate more activities into your everyday lives.
Woodchopper is an exercise that specifically targets the abdominal region of the body. They are relatively easy to do.
- Using one weigh hand, stand with your feet hip-width apart with your weight on your left leg
- Start by holding the weight in both hands up to your left shoulder
- Next, twist to make a chopping motion down to your right hip
- Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist
- Raise the weight back up to your left shoulder
Repeat for 20 reps and then work on your right side.
7. Try These Modified Push-Ups to Work Your Abs
Push-ups are not just on the list of exercises to get rid of love handles; they also give you a stronger upper body. The exercises strengthen and tone your abdominal. They are even regarded by some people as the perfect exercise to get abs, even though it depends on doing them correctly.
If you want to target your love handles in particular, while doing a push-up, try the following modifications:
- While in plank position, pull in your bellybutton. This is because your belly button is attached to your transverse abdominis. This is the inner sheaths that, that inner sheath that holds your gut inside and gives your spine and vertebrae an excellent, weight belt-tightening type of support. By doing this, you begin to contract that deep inner transverse abdominis muscle.
- Next, do a Kegel squeeze. A Kegel squeeze is performed by drawing your lower pelvic muscles up and holding them up high and tight. It is similar to trying to stop urinating in the middle of the flow. This squeeze will allow you to feel and focus on your abdominal muscles.
- Try a push-up dumbbell row. Start at a dumbbell weight suitable to your current level of strength and fitness and progress into higher weights as you go along. Place the dumbbells at a 45-degree angle; pull in your bellybutton; draw up your lower pelvic muscles (Kegel squeeze), and breathe in as you lower your upper body to the floor.Breathe out on the way up, and once your arms are in the fully extended position, perform a row — pulling the right dumbbell up toward your chest. On the next push-up, pull up with your left.
These advanced techniques will work your abs from side to side, and target those deep core muscles as well.
8. Standing Oblique Crunch
The Standing Oblique Crunch targets the obliques, transverse abdominis, multifidus, and rectus abdominis. Being that this is a standing exercise, it makes your muscles activate to stabilize the body when balancing on one foot to lift the leg to crunch.
Depending on the difficulty level you wish to achieve,
- lift one leg and keep it lifted throughout 10-20 repetitions, then switch sides
- If you wish the difficulty level to be lower, tap the lifting foot down between repetitions
Do 3 sets on each side.
So, if at one time or the other, you have felt embarrassed as a result of the erring love handles on your abdominal level, I’m sure that you will feel better strengthened after trying these exercises. If you are still just struggling with it, don’t fret, these tips help you! Do have a blast trying them out.